Skip to main content

Goody Two Shoes

Round 3 of the cross country at Stafford Common turned out to be a very different challenge than the first two events at Winsford and Park Hall - so much more of a mental challenge than the physical one I was expecting.

On another day, in much less muddy conditions, I think it would actually have been quite a good course to attempt - there were hills but they weren't extreme, with plenty of downhill sections to balance them out. But very heavy overnight rain turned certain parts of Stafford Common into a bog, there was mud everywhere and it was sticky mud at that. We arrived in time to see some of the junior races and saw several finishers struggle over the line missing one or even both of their shoes... it really was that muddy.

Our race was slightly delayed  - time to tie and re-tie my shoes at least 3 times to get them fastened as tightly as possible. We were underway not long after 1.30pm and the first sticky mud was not much more than 100 yards from the start line. My shoes were instantly coated in mud and my feet soaking wet before half a mile completed. This wasn't like the run at Park Hall - where I really enjoyed negotiating the different conditions and the physical challenge. This was physically hard and mentally challenging - working out where to put your feet so you wouldn't be up to your knees in mud, trying to find a route down slippy banks without falling,  getting your feet to lift out of the mud without leaving your shoes behind. I didn't like it... at all. I don't know what it was like up at the front of the race, but I saw several runners getting stuck. In some places, walking was my only option.  My body ached and my mind hurt too. Some encouragement from Mr T helped at the end of the first lap.



Whistler Mountain Flashback -
How Do I Get Down From Here?
The hardest point for me though came as I reached the top of the muddiest, steepest section for the second time - it wasn't really that much of a drop and I'd just about negotiated it the first time round. But as I reached the top for the second time, already tired, it felt like I was standing at the top of a mountain and I couldn't see a way down - a flash-back to a mountain side in Whistler when I'd experienced a similar moment of panic and had to be skied down off the mountain by my ski instructor. Then, I knew I couldn't get down on my own. Now, standing at the top of that muddy bank for what felt like five minutes, I had that feeling again. Could I actually get down and finish the race?
My mud-covered "two shoes"

In reality, I was probably immobile for just a couple of seconds.  I closed my eyes, gave myself an order to just run, opened my eyes and launched myself down the bank... I made it down in one piece, although my legs felt like jelly as I stumbled on. Just up ahead I could see my Potters Trotters team mate Bobbie - I kept my eyes on her pink club vest and put one foot in front of the other, repeating "two shoes" to myself over and over... a little mantra to keep me going. All I had to do was to keep "two shoes" on my feet and get to the end. It didn't matter if I had to walk (or crawl) through the last muddy section, I'd get round with "two shoes" on my feet.

Smiling at the end -
with Bobbie, Meg and Beth

The last section passed in a blur... but soon I was at the finish in 97th place and this time it was Bobbie cheering me over the line... which was much appreciated as I really was running on empty. Mr T, Beth and Meg were also there to offer much needed support. It took me a while to catch my breath and get my heart rate down... the emotional as well as physical effort had taken its toll in the race. But a cup of hot sweet tea and a donut - thanks Mr T - really helped with blood sugar levels! Soon, I could smile again - just!

 Once home, it was time to get clean... this was quite a long and drawn out process... there was a lot of mud! I think my shoes have survived but I'm not sure about my socks!
 
After - my "clean" socks
Before - my "muddy" socks














Coming up to the finish -
my facial expression says it all!
Since I've been running, I've set myself lots of different goals. Sometimes it's about running a faster time, or finishing ahead of a rival. But this was just about finishing with two shoes still on my feet. And I did that. Goody two shoes.

Happy Running,

LizT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B