Skip to main content

Pretty in Pink

Sunday 3rd February was my first race of 2013, the Alsager 5, and it was a grey and rainy start to the morning. The main dilemma pre-race was how many layers of clothes were required... should I keep my rain jacket or just get a bit damp but not get too warm. In the end I think I got it right - no jacket, short sleeve t-shirt and Potters Trotters vest, my new nike running skapris with hat and gloves! I even wearing Brooks trainers... matching the main sponsors of the race. It's all about the look!

Pink Vest, Pink Hat!
It was the expected scrum at the start with almost 800 runners in a relatively narrow street but after a couple of hundred metres, everything settled down and it was easy enough to get up to my planned running pace. My aims for the race were to run as hard as I could and try to get close to 42 minutes. I was hoping to run at an even pace, not too fast at the start, and then have enough strength of mind and body to sustain my speed over the full five miles.

I started out well - I focused on different runners up ahead and tried to keep pace with someone who was running at roughly the pace I wanted. If they slowed down, I overtook and then focused on someone else. Check out this video clip from Mile 1 - you can spot me (pink vest, pink hat) at about 3:36.

Concentration!
As it turned out, my strategy worked pretty well until about 4.5 miles. With just half a mile to the finish, I felt the burn... I was trying hard to maintain my pace but felt myself slowing. I pushed on as hard as I could and was soon closing in on the finish - which happened to be quite a narrow lane with speed bumps and significant potholes all the way along it. I knew my last half mile had been slower but I still sprinted for the line with the little bit of energy I had left, cheered on by Bryn (who'd already finished the race), Julie and Millie Holmes.
4.5miles - hurting now
This was also my first race as a member of the North Staffs Road Runners Association. For some reason, this makes me feel slightly more like a proper grown-up runner although its also a little bit intimidating... I've been allocated to Group W and so this is the focus of my competition. For each NSRRA event, you have to wear your group identifier on your back as you run. It is a little bit like a target... if you spot someone in your group up ahead, overtaking them in the sprint finish will mean an extra point in that race. But if someone spots you as they are finishing fast... that could be a point lost.

At the start, I spotted a few Ws and managed to overtake a couple in the first mile. However, after that I didn't spot many more letters at all. I just focused on my running. At the finish, I couldn't see any Ws to aim for just up ahead but then was pipped at the line by another runner. Was she a W? Was that a point lost? I have no idea - I was too busy trying not to be sick. It had been a full-on effort from me, especially the final 5 minutes when I felt drained but kept going anyway.

So how did I do? Well, my chip time was recorded as 40:24, so I averaged 8:04.8 per mile (for precision). I finished 20th out of 52 in my age/gender category and 95th out of 280 ladies overall. I don't know about my NSRRA result yet but I'd definitely say me experience of the Alsager 5 would fit the "Run Happy" campaign from the sponsors.

However, as with other races I've competed, I also enjoyed seeing and hearing about the achievements of friends and team mates as much as being pleased with my own effort. Today was a day for the pink ladies of Potters Trotters - there were 15 ladies from the club covering most of the different age groups taking part in the race and Sue involved in stewarding the event. All of those who took part achieved something special - every one has a different reason for running and taking part in a race like the Alsager 5. It is just great to see the sense of achievement as each lady crosses the finishing line. There may not have been smiles from everyone whilst they were running, but there were plenty of happy faces once the race was complete. Well done to all: Liz, Michelle, Lee, Claire, Sally, Kathleen, Alison, Dawn, Anne, Janet, Sarah, Justine, Rose and Veronica. The pink ladies are pretty amazing.

Happy Running

Liz T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B