Skip to main content

When Saturday Comes

Are we nearly there yet? How many sleeps until next parkrun day?

I love parkrun - I think that's pretty obvious if you take a look at my twitter feed, Facebook profile or previous blog posts. Since I started running at the start of 2011, when 5km seemed like a marathon, I've gradually gained confidence in my running and taken on new running challenges - including my biggest challenge yet at the Greater Manchester Marathon on April 28th. But most of my running week revolves around parkrun; whether I'm planning to run or volunteer, I don't like missing out. And I think parkrunning is good for me - it ticks all the boxes in the New Economic Foundation's Five Ways to Wellbeing anyway.
But for the last few months, ever since I reflected on my parkrun birthday, I've been slowly and steadily parkrunning my way towards the highly vaunted milestone of 50 parkruns and membership of the parkrun 50 club. I completed my 40th parkrun at the New Year's Day parkrun at Hanley and it was really at that point that the milestone started to feel real and achievable. I try and volunteer about once per month, as I really value that aspect of parkrun and appreciate that I wouldn't have completed any runs without the array of amazing volunteers, especially our event director at Hanley parkrun Tommy Hill. But I really wanted to be part of the 50 club too... and wear the t-shirt.
The 50 club t-shirt... When Saturday Comes!
So I worked out that it would take me until the end of March / beginning of April to get from 40 to 50. But there were lots of unknowns within that estimate... particularly relating to the weather. There were also planned weekend excursions, where I could aim to take in another parkrun, assuming we could get there.

Are we nearly there yet?

First there was the snowy conditions in January that forced two cancellations at Hanley parkrun. Fortunately, we were away in Manchester on one of these days, so I was able to keep moving towards my goal with a visit to Heaton parkrun. It was a tough run but really enjoyable and it was great to chat with lots of other parkrunners after the run. By then end of January, I was 3 closer to my total.

Shaun joins the 50 Club!
Are we nearly there yet?
 
February saw me complete 3 more parkruns, achieving my best time of 2013 and my fastest run for over 6 months. Finishing as first lady for only the third time was a highlight this month. February involved another new challenge, as I took on the role of run director for the first time - it was a real honour and a lot of fun too. That parkrunday also included the presentation of a 50 club t-shirt for the first time at Hanley parkrun - congratulations to Shaun Weston who was the first to reach the 50 milestone at Hanley. We'd seen parkrun 50 t-shirts occasionally at Hanley, when visitors from other parkruns wore them proudly. But now there was one at Hanley too...
 
Are we nearly there yet? 
 
Blizzard at Burgess parkrun
And so to March. The snow abated and I completed two more runs, including one run with Andy Worsey where we attempted to calculate the percentage of the Hanley parkrun course that is run on grass. Then it was volunteering again, taking me up to 47. Two more Hanley parkrunners joined the 50-club too.... congratulations to Bryn Holmes and Graham Sheridan. Then a planned weekend trip to London at the same time as the snow returned. Hanley parkrun was cancelled, under a blanket of snow, ice and fallen branches again. As we left our hotel to head down to Burgess parkrun in South London, the snow was already falling. But the parkrun weather fairies were looking after us and the run went ahead. Afterwards, we joined the local runners for the six-month anniversary of Burgess parkrun and also a 70th birthday celebration for an amazing lady called Eddi (who has a PB of 26:47) - post-run champagne and anniversary cake helped to make my 48th parkrun special.

Are we nearly there yet?

Easter Saturday and my 49th parkrun. It was cold and there were still some icy patches on the course but thankfully we were able to go ahead with more amazing work from the volunteers. I started the run with my bunny ears but couldn't keep it going - they were discarded midway through the second lap. It wasn't a particularly fast run but I enjoyed it all the same - a little chat about marathon training with Graham Fletcher on the last lap was an added bonus. And it was great to watch Meg Hickman and then Millie Holmes achieve new PBs too - cue the big smiles and celebratory oatcakes and hot chocolates.

Are we nearly there yet?

I admit it, I'm excited. I can't wait for when Saturday (or parkrunday) comes around again. I'm like a batsman stranded on 49 not out at close of play (Mr T might appreciate that analogy) or a little child waiting for that trip to Disneyland (my nieces will prefer that one). I'll probably be a little bit earlier than usual for the start of the run, and maybe stand a little bit closer to the start line. Marathon training schedules probably mean I won't be chasing down my long ago achieved PB (24.52 back in May last year) but I'll do my best to run as well as I can on the day. And when I complete my run next week, perhaps I'll celebrate with an Ultimate Hot Chocolate in Flavours café. I know I'll be inpatient for the results to be uploaded (sorry Tommy) so I can check out the results page to see that special "50" logo next to my name. Then I'll be able to order my 50 club t-shirt and won't have to wait too long for it to arrive at Hanley parkrun. Then I'll be able to start wearing it, even if it is red and will clash with post of my predominantly pink and purple running gear.

Are we nearly there yet?

Yes we are nearly there, when Saturday comes (parkrun weather fairies permitting). And then I can start working my way towards the next milestone.... and join the 100 club.

Happy parkrunning

Liz T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B