Skip to main content

Gone with the Wind

In the last two weeks, I've completed my 50th parkrun and received my 50club t-shirt, presented to me at parkrun yesterday by event director Tommy Hill. I was so excited to receive it, I put it on straight away and completed my 51st parkrun wearing it. It gave my running a real boost.

However, today I was back in Potters Trotters pink and my running focus returned to the North Staffs Road Runners as I took part in my second race of the season, the Newcastle 10k organised by Newcastle (Staffs) Athletics Club. There was no snow to contend with today, and only a little bit of rain. The main challenge on the weather front (confirmed by pre-race tweets) was going to be the wind. It looked blustery along the canal towpath so I was expecting even stronger winds out on the country lanes for the run.

I arrived in Newcastle at just before 9.30am and made my way to the starting area, soon spotting lots of familiar faces from parkrun and Potters Trotters. I'd arranged to run with Beth Dawid, a regular at parkrun. I was hoping to beat my previous 10k PB of 54:55, set at Cheddleton in November 2012.  This being an NSRRA event, I also had my group label pinned to the back of my shirt and was keeping an eye out for the other Ws... as well as a good time, I also wanted to see how many points I could get for today's race.

There wasn't too much time for milling around (or W spotting) before it was time to make our way to the start. Someone made a speech, which we couldn't hear, there was polite applause and then a whistle was blown and we were underway.

The main feature of the run that everyone was talking about in advance is Blackbank Road, the route from Newcastle up to Alsagers Bank. The important word in that sentence is up - after a relatively gentle first 2k which we managed in just over 10 minutes, the route then climbs and climbs and climbs until about the half way point. It's not the steepest of hills, certainly not as steep as Anchor Road or Milton Road in the Potters 'Arf route. But it is a relentless climb over approximately 2 miles - when I looked ahead, I could see the faster runners snaking up the hill. And like all really mean climbs, when you think you've got to the top and the downhill section has started, there is one more sneaky climb to complete. I was really pleased that we kept going to the top but it was a struggle, especially with the wind blowing a gale from seemingly every direction. Thankfully, Liz Stevenson and Justine Oakley from Potters Trotters were positioned at crucial points in the climb and their cheers of "C'mon Liz" made all the difference when I was starting to slow. And support from other runners was key too - Kirsten Owen's encouragement as she passed us was much appreciated too, although did make me a bit worried that we'd set out a bit too fast. We reached the 5km point in just under 27 minutes so I was still on target for a PB.

Elevation Chart - what goes up must come down!
The next phase of the race was actually the hardest part for me  - for the first time in a long time, I got a stitch whilst running. Over the next km, I didn't (or couldn't) run flat out - instead, I concentrated on getting my breath back under control and conserving energy. Fortunately, the discomfort passed and I could then focus on pushing on down the hill to the finish. This stretch of the run passed really quickly - Beth and I weren't doing a lot of talking but it was really helpful to have someone running with me all the way round, especially through the tough patches. The weather was doing its best to confuse us - at one moment sunny and warm, the next wet and windy - "Four Seasons in One Day" was the song going through my head.

Soon, we were directed off the roads and onto the old railway line for the final 2km. The pathway was relatively sheltered; the wind no longer a problem, the rain relatively light and actually refreshing. I can't say I managed a flat out sprint finish but I felt relatively strong and those last 2km were the fastest of the run. Unlike my half marathon effort in Blackpool, the second half of the run was much faster than the first (probably something to do with the hills but I'll take the negative split).

Team Potters Trotters!
Cheered on to the finish by Liz and Emma, Lee, Sue and then Justine and her family again, it was all over and the race was done. I stopped my watch on 51:55 and will have to wait for my official time to confirm an unofficial 3minute PB. I was enormously grateful to Beth for keeping my company on the run and spurring me on to the finish line. However, I've got no idea where my run ranked amongst the Ws - I didn't spot another W during the whole race.


Hot Chocolate in My Race Mug!
Once all the other ladies from Potters Trotters had completed their run, mostly with big smiles at the finish, it was back to the Newcastle AC Clubhouse for a team photo and also to collect our commemorative mugs... I used mine for a warming and celebratory hot chocolate once I got home.

This race was also my final full effort run before the Greater Manchester Marathon - just two weeks away now. I'll be running in the intervening period but keeping things steady. I'll have plenty of things to get sorted before the run... kit, gels, race strategy... and also my fundraising for Cancer Research as another distraction. Then next Sunday, I'll probably spend my morning keeping track of all those friends who are taking on the London Marathon challenge. But before I know it, it will be race day. Bring it on!

Happy running

LizT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B