Skip to main content

The Accidental Tourist

On Sunday, I accidentally ran a half marathon, a very hilly and very tough half marathon, in Uttoxeter.

After the wonderful but exhausting experience of the Greater Manchester Marathon, I should really have been resting - my right foot has some nasty blisters (and now blisters on blisters) and my left calf is a bit tight. I'd set myself up for a rest for a couple of weeks and was aiming for the Clayton 10k as my next real effort - at least that was what I wrote on my blog post last Monday.

On Tuesday, I went out for a "recovery" run with Bobbie and Liz at Potters Trotters - I didn't feel too bad as we chatted are way around a very easy 5 miles. Someone asked about the Uttoxeter Half Marathon - not a good idea I thought to myself, even though it was the next NSRRA event and 50 points were up for grabs in Group W (I'd managed to be first home in Group W in my first two events at Alsager and the Newcastle 10k). By Thursday, my energy levels were increasing again. Liz was running and so I had a lift to Uttoxeter if needed. I decided to make a decision after parkrun on Saturday - I managed a fast-ish last mile and didn't suffer too much afterwards. By the time I left the café, the odds had shifted from 50/50 through 60/40 to 70/30 in favour of running. I thought through a possible strategy and worked out a sensible running pace - I knew I couldn't aim for a PB but I thought a sub 2 hour run might be a possibility. The only unknowns were the weather (sunshine was forecast) and the course - I knew it was going to be hilly... but just how hilly?

Pacemaker Andy
And so I made the decision to run - motivated by wanting to test myself as well as chasing points for the NSRRA. Just seven days after my marathon, I lined up at the start of the Uttoxeter Half Marathon, alongside just less than 400 other runners including 8 ladies from Potters Trotters and familiar faces from parkrun. Ready? Well, let's see.

Cheered on my Mr T and Meg, the race got underway at 10.30am just outside Uttoxeter Racecourse. The hills start almost immediately and the first mile was tough... I ran for a little while at the start with Bobbie before catching up with Andy from parkrun and we ran the first 4 miles in about 36 minutes - thanks Andy for the pace-making! It was great to be cheered on by Justine and Harry as we climbed those early hills - great support as always. Miles 4 to 6 included some welcome relief with some downhill sections and I reached half way in about just under 59 minutes.

Waving for the Camera
The run couldn't have been more different from my marathon experience - country lanes and the occasional spectator compared with the deafening crowds along the roads of Greater Manchester. For some parts of the run, it was actually quite lonely. I tried to draw some inspiration from the scenery but for a lot of the run it was just head down, one foot in front of the other. I did manage some enthusiasm to smile and wave at Bryan Dale (race photographer) when he popped up at about mile 5.

Just after halfway came a really steep uphill section lasting about one third of a mile. It was a real challenge for me to keep running but I did and managed to overtake a few other runners at this point. There was a brief plateau before another climb to the highest point of the course at about 8 miles. Then more downhill - I think the road sign gave this road a gradient of 12%.

Elevation Chart - Ups and Downs of the Uttoxeter Half
Down the Hill to the Finish
I kept pushing and miles 10 to 12 were another hard slog - not quite so steep a climb but it felt relentless. I could feel myself tiring. But the end was in sight - a mile from the finish and all downhill from here (according to the marshal at this point anyway). I did manage to pick up the pace over the last section and my last kilometre was actually the fastest of the run. Mr T was there cheering me on with just a few hundred metres to go. Then there was a small loop around the racecourse and a flat run to the finish. I was clock-watching at this point - I knew that I had made up enough time on the downhill last mile to achieve my sub-2hr objective - my official finish time was given as 1:57:37 in 225th place (14th in my age category).

"Group Winner" Mug

As I came to the finish line, I received another big cheer from Justine and Harry and was presented with a mug by Sue and Ken Rushton - I was actually first of the group W runners to finish the race and this was my award! Mr T appeared again and brought me an extremely large cup of hot sweet tea and my recovery was underway. I felt more tired than last Sunday but was really pleased with my run - those hills were tough and I conquered them. I felt like I'd managed my pace well too... not too fast at the start, strong enough to "sprint" for the finish; another negative split.

We stayed at the finish area to cheer home the rest of the Potters Trotters and chat with other running friends too - some had good runs, others more disappointing, but everyone got home.

Then it was off to Cheadle, via a lovely lunch in Checkley with Liz and Mr T, for an afternoon of cricket watching. I think the next week really will involve a rest...

Happy Running!

LizT

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B