Skip to main content

Some Like it Hot

Relaxing before the Start!
When you follow a training plan and execute your race strategy as planned, it feels great. That's what happened with my first marathon in Manchester just six weeks ago. Everything came together on the day - weather, crowd support, pacing, fitness, hydration - and I ran the best race I could and delivered the fastest possible time.

Yesterday I took on the hills of the Potters 'Arf - the local half marathon where I can walk to the start and then hobble home again after the race. It was sunny and warm, which was not so great for me, but brilliant for bringing out the spectators. The crowds were amazing and there was an endless supply of jelly babies around the course. But the race? Did the plan come together?

Since the marathon, I've continued to race on a fairly regular basis, including three races in the North Staffs Road Runners, and taken part in the Bupa 10k in Manchester and parkrun events in Hanley, Leeds and Manchester. But I've not really been training in the way I should have been to really deliver at the Potters 'Arf. I've not been doing hill sessions or speed work and the longest run I've completed in the last 5 weeks (since my accidental half marathon in Uttoxeter) was just 6.5 miles.

I knew it would be virtually impossible for me to better last year's time and performance, when I broke the 2 hour mark and picked up a bronze medal. Instead, as the sun broke through the crowds and the temperature rose, I knew that getting close to two hours would be the best I could manage on the day. With already slightly aching legs I needed to make sure I didn't do any further damage to myself by pushing too hard when I just hadn't done the training. So I played it safe - no risks, nothing to prove, get round, stay healthy.

I set off at roughly 2 hour pace - although there is quite a bit of downhill in the first couple of miles so it is difficult to judge before the steady climb to Longton. There were plenty of familiar faces amongst the runners and spectators, including 21 Potters Trotters in the main race plus two relay teams and everyone else from the club seemed to be out on the course supporting us. A huge well done to all the pink ladies.

After the climb up Anchor Road, there are a few more ups and downs before a long downhill section through Bentilee (roughly half way). It was here that Tommy Hill (from Hanley parkrun) came flying past me - check out Tommy's blog for a report by someone who did the training right and got the rewards - well done Tommy. As Tommy flew off into the distance, I was already tiring. Even the downhill sections didn't seem to offer much respite, although a shout-out and the clatter of a rattle from Justine and her family on Twigg Street spurred me on.

Poster made by Heather Blurton - thanks Hmel!
Down Fellbrook Lane and some more encouragement from the Blurton Family and Mr T kept me going - one foot in front of the other - and then on to my least favourite stretch of the course from Leek Road down to Leek New Road. This is when the mind games kick in... there are about 3 miles of undulating roads until you start to climb back up to Hanley and the dreaded Milton Road (aka Heartbreak Hill). On a good day, this flies by. On a hot, sunny day when you've not done the training, it is a slog. I looked at my watch and could see by kilometre split times were slowing - even on the flattest sections of the course. I thought my chances of sub-2 had vanished and I stopped looking at my watch.

I reached the bottom of Milton Road and, despite encouragement from Julie, Millie, Meg, Phil, Charlotte, Sharon, Andy and Bryn (who'd already finished and was walking back up the course showing off his shiny gold medal), I made the decision to walk up the steepest section. Head down, short steps, pushing on whilst trying to catch my breath. It was about 2 minutes of walking but it was what I needed to do on the day. I did get into my running again for the last mile and I tried to keep my pace going to get to the finish line. I couldn't muster a sprint finish, despite the wonderful support of the crowds including Mr T, who was probably moving faster than me to make it from the 8 mile point in time.

Celebrating with the Pink Ladies
(thanks to Nina for the photo)
Then it was over and I was amazed to discover that I was actually much closer to two hours than I expected. My official chip time was 2:00:08, compared with a clock time of 2:00:34. So I just missed out on a bronze medal - perhaps I could have pushed on to break that 2 hour mark but I didn't and I actually don't feel too disappointed at all. In terms of NSRRA, it was a great result and I've picked up good points again. There were some fantastic runs too from the other ladies of the Potters Trotters and it was great to celebrate with them afterwards too.

So I survived the Potters 'Arf and my aching legs will recover soon (as well as the scars on my waist where my shorts decided to attack me). And now it is time to get back to the training. Racing is great but it is the training runs that get you to the start line in the right physical and mental shape to race well. And I'm sure I'll run Potters 'Arf again - and next time I'll put in the training miles to really make a race of it.

Happy Running

LizT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B