Skip to main content

Circle of Friends

Almost exactly three years ago, I started on a lose-weight-get-fit journey, which has taken me from someone who couldn't run for a bus to someone who has found an enjoyment in running that I would never have imagined and brought out a long-dormant sporting competiveness. I started out slowly, graduating from running on the Wii Fit to the wonderfully simple Couch to 5k programme, which prepared me for my first event, the 5k Race for Life in June 2011. I kept going and in March 2012 completed my first half marathon.  Just over a year later, in the year I turn 40, I conquered a marathon too and had the most amazing day at the Greater Manchester Marathon. I've taken on many different running challenges, including running in the Olympic Stadium, and loved most of them. I've lost weight and got much fitter than ever before in my adult life and perhaps most importantly, I've met some amazing people along the way and have an ever expanding circle of (running) friends.

Running in the Olympic Stadium
Finishing the Marathon
The last month of my running journey has been a particularly varied one and I've shared it with many of these new running friends... we've run distances from 5k to half marathon distance, with all sorts of different terrains, event types and outcomes, celebrated or commiserated with cakes and hot chocolate. There are plans being for the next few months too and the challenges won't stop yet.

Back in October, a mystery runner at parkrun stuck with me to the finish to help me finally set a new Hanley parkrun PB after almost 18 months of trying. It may have only been 2 seconds faster than my time from May last year, but they were 2 vital seconds and I'm not sure I could have kept going without his encouragement. But he didn't have a barcode, so I can't even lookup his name in the results, but I am very grateful for his generosity in pacing me round. parkrun is probably the main reason why my circle of running friends keeps on growing - runners of all ages and abilities, coming together every Saturday to run 5km.

The next day it was time for the Bupa Great Birmingham Half Marathon - which actually seemed much more like Hanley parkrun on tour, as there were so many familiar runners taking part. The crowds on the course were amazing, similar to the Potters 'Arf or Greater Manchester Marathon experiences. I was running in my Cancer Research vest with my name on, so was getting lots of encouraging shouts of "C'mon Lizzie, keep going Lizzie, not far now Lizzie". Meeting up with everyone at the finish was great fun too - swapping race stories before heading off to Nando's (as demanded by Meg and Millie) to refuel.

After Birmingham, it was off to the Shropshire countryside for a few days for a little escape with Mr T. I tried out the hotel gym and managed a few treadmill miles but much preferred to run outside and this time I had Mr T for company - he is currently working his way through the Couch to 5k programme too and will make his parkrun debut in a couple of weeks (November 23rd). He is already up to running 3 miles so I'm obviously coaching him well!

And then it was back to the cross country and the scene of my low point in running last year - Stafford Common. I had really struggled in the muddy conditions in 2012 and lost all confidence in myself as I grappled to keep two shoes on my feet. But, armed with words of encouragement from my running friends, I was determined not to let the mud get the better of me this time. In the end, conditions weren't as difficult and my positive attitude prevailed -  I was faster and in a much higher position than last year and came through the race mentally unscathed. And, best of all, Potters Trotters had a great team performance and actually finished with more points than four other teams!

And so to the last race of the NSRRA season, the Flying Fox 10 mile race. This would be my 14th race of the NSRRA calendar and the opportunity to finish off the season on a high. If I managed one final win in Group W, I would have a perfect score of 600 points to count in the official completion, as I'd be able to discard the two races where I'd finished second in the group (Cheadle and Berryhill). The route was a squashed circle which has the steepest hill climbs just after half way but finishes with quite a helpful downhill mile.

Before the Rain...
The weather yet again had a significant impact on the race - I started off wearing my lovely sunglasses and so obviously got the blame when the torrential rain started after about 25 minutes! The temperature fluctuated wildly and I was officially cold by about mile 7. The biggest talking point before the race was the water feature positioned at mile 5... it is one of the lowest points of the course and the road basically floods with very muddy water (even if it is not raining that much). It dictates running in old trainers and not shiny new ones and means you run the second half of the race with completely wet and very dirty feet (again, even it if is not raining that much). On Sunday, with the heavy rain, the puddle was verging on a lake but it was actually not as bad as the pre-race gossip had suggested. Perhaps, I had psychologically prepared for the worst and it wasn't quite as bad as the worst conditions I could imagine (see previous comments on Stafford Common for example). It was wet and muddy but fortunately over and done with in about six strides.

The last mile... in the rain!
Then it was a slog up the big hill and into the final few miles - yet again, there were loads of familiar faces amongst the runners and spectators and it was great to hear their words of encouragement. My target had been 85 minutes and I was absolutely thrilled to finish with a time of 82:27... 10 miles at 8:15 pace sounds pretty good to me. And I got the group W win too - receiving an NSSRA mug and a big hug from Potters Trotters' Sue Rushton as I crossed the finish line. I still can't believe everything that I have achieved this year and finishing top of Group W is a real honour.

I've got two more cross country races to complete this month, lots more parkrundays for running and volunteering and then I'm sure I'll find a couple of opportunities for some Christmas Fancy Dress too to wrap up my running in 2013. Hopefully Mr T will keep up his running too as I've really enjoyed our after-work training runs and it has certainly helped keep me going for Go-vember. And then before you know it, 2014 will be here and I'll be marathon training all over again - I've been lucky enough to be allocated a Potters Trotters club place for the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon. And I've got to set a whole load of new targets for next year too.

Happy Running

Liz T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B